When I can see evidence....


Here is my initial wash of "Cedars in Springtime". 

I loved the sloping hill with rich, lush greens peaking through last year's ochres, sweeping up along the rocks to the upright stand of trees. 

You can see indications of my armature in the washed pyramid (symbol of strength and stability) of the main trees, bound horizontally to the edges of the canvas by a band of similar cedars and oaks.

When I can see evidence of the finished painting in my wash, and when the lines, shapes and initial colored values describe how I feel, I can move to the next stage.




I connect my dark patterns and begin to lay heavier paint, noticing and often marking where I will push warm/ cool relationships and textural effects along the focal path.

The sky keeps changing, but I try to stay open and present, watching for the perfect, thin overcast which lends a lovely saturation to these colors I am building.




Nearly done. Keeping what helps me tell the story; eliminating or playing down what doesn't.



The finished painting.....



"Cedars in Springtime"

16x24" oil in linen

Comments

  1. I appreciate seeing the progression as you move through the different stages of painting Cedars in Springtime. Your work gives me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,

      Thank you so very much for your comments, liking, and sharing of my work! It means a lot to me to feel that my offerings are useful. :)

      I look forward to meeting you soon! Doug and Joyce delivered a couple of panels here, waiting for you, too. Have a wonderful few weeks.

      Happy painting!
      Mary

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts