"Just Plein Lovely" - plein air to studio

I painted "Just Plein Lovely" en plein air while at D.D.Kennedy Environmental Area, along the Balsam Branch River, in 2021. Sometimes it just works... an instinctive and intuitive response where every brushstroke just falls into place! 
 

"Just Plein Lovely" 16 x 20" oil, plein air, 2021

When a scene imprints so deeply on my heart, and the impression is so strong, I feel compelled to explore it on a larger scale in my studio. There, I have the luxury of time to take the impression apart and put it back together again, to orchestrate the shapes, values, and edges, to understand and bring out the qualities that make us feel like we have all been to this place before. 

 
"Ethereal Morning" 28 x 48" oil, studio, 2021

This classic motif is familiar and welcoming. We know it; it’s a universal theme. It is an archetype that somehow taps into our shared experience.

Happy Painting!

~Mary


Comments

Popular Posts